Datacenter Refresh and UPS Upgrade
at a Major US Law Firm
Provision of project management and engineering for a Tokyo data center, upgrading APC Symmetra to the latest Symmetra LX.
Additionally, we took advantage of the opportunity to be allowed by the busy legal professionals to have a full 40-hour time window, to bolster the data center’s earthquake proofing, and to remove old equipment and cable, as well as to re-vamp the structured cabling in the racks to gain more space for growth.
This project took a long time to plan, and was a challenge to execute, given the many teams involved - project, construction, electricity, cabling and test.
|Team Members||PM x 2, Consultant x 2, Engineer x 10, Construction-related x 20, Key User x 2|
|Project Duration (Months)||36 months|
|Project Effort (Months)||400 person-months|
- End of life UPS equipment
- Earthquake resistance could be improved
- General datacenter “entropy” such as old cable, old equipment
- No space in racks
- Labeling could be improved
- Implement latest redundant APC Symmetra LX 8Kva with 2-hour runtime
- Bolster earthquake proofing, which necessitates removal of all equipment and racks, and reinstallation of the entire DC.
- Remove old equipment and cable, and rearrange to make space
- Label so that things are easy to find and troubleshoot
- Greatly improved fireproofing and earthquake resistance in DC.
- Space created inside and around racks, removing the need for space for additional new racks.
- Cleanup included numbered patch cables, to allow traceabilty for better troubleshooting.
- Latest APC UPS technology now in place, for a supported and robust solution.
- APC Symmetra LX 8KVa UPS
- APC System Racks
Request More Information
Can eSolia help your firm with a project like this? Please contact us today.